Monday, June 15, 2009

Decision

As some of you may remember, I had to decide whether to change labs and projects at this point. I wrote about that before. I got to read the project proposal and went back and forth a number of times over the weeks. Sometimes closer to staying, other times closer to leaving. If I decided to leave and join the other lab, I had to make myself available for an all-day meeting tomorrow.

For the past 2 weeks I've also been embroiled in legal battles more disgusting than you can imagine. It's not over yet, so I can't go into it, but it's not pretty. So this morning I made my choice: I'm staying.

Ultimately, the working conditions in this lab are so good, that it's hard to leave, even if it means turning down health benefits. Also, my current adviser has many different projects, each with a different funding source. If need be, I can be shifted around from one project to the other. As a post-doc I don't care particularly which actual project I'm on.

Now that I've made my decision, and I've notified both PI's involved, I feel much, much better. I think my potential employer was quite disappointed. I wish I could take both jobs, but I can't. And I haven't been this happy in a long time. I'm sticking around.

3 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I love the feeling after making a big, important, difficult decision! It sounds like this is an excellent fit, with lots of publishing opportunities too.

EcoGeoFemme said...

Good for you! It sounded like you couldn't make a bad decision. Nice that you can stop worrying about it now.

makita said...

Hi Cath and EGF!
It is absolutely an excellent fit, and by the end of summer I hope to have 3 papers out of this lab. And yes EGF, I've so moved on already. I'm not looking back.