Sunday, August 1, 2010

WTF?

A postdoc (PD) in our lab was using another lab to do a particular technique that we're not well-equipped for. Such lab-sharing is not uncommon. PD asked a postdoc (SH) in the other lab to point out the location of the hazardous waste container. SH asked if s/he would be made co-author on the paper if s/he did so. PD stared at SH, turned around and returned to our lab.

I had worked briefly with SH in a lab some years ago, so PD asked me if SH is a very funny person. The answer was no, SH definitely did not strike me as funny. PD told me what had happened and asked again, if this was simply a display of dry humor. I again told her I didn't think so.

PD went to the SH's boss to ask the same questions. The boss apologized for SH's behavior. Apparently SH is been having some trouble getting data published lately. I understand that SH is desperate, but authorship to point out the waste container? That's got to be some kind of record.

2 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Wow. I wish I'd thought of that kind of thing, I'd have at least 2 Nature papers by now!

makita said...

Hi Cath! Yeah, I'd have papers in all sorts of journals. I'd hate to have to count all students, postdocs, visiting scientists and professors I've shown where the waste container is.