Thursday, July 24, 2008

Getting ready

Well, it's been pretty crazy since I last posted. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for the conference, and I only finished my posters around 3 am this morning. I took the files in to the local Fedex-Kinko to print them at around 3:30 am, and they should be ready by 4 pm this afternoon.

Other than that I have not prepared for the conference. I still need to put some software on my computer that I will need for a statistical workshop I'll be attending. I have to buy some supplies for the trip.

I did realize yesterday morning that I don't have any clothes to wear. I normally dress quite ehmmm... casually. And somehow what I did have that would be appropriate didn't fit. I guess I didn't get on the scale recently, and I have 10 extra pounds on me compared to the last time I wore dressy clothes. So I went out and spent (for our budget) an insane amount of money on a pair on pinstripe paints, a silk blouse and two dresses. $250 total. One of the dresses was especially expensive at $88. I don't think I've ever owned anything that expensive to wear other than my wedding dress. But I do think it's gorgeous. Very simple, but elegant. I should post a picture soon. I dropped all the clothes off at the dry cleaner this morning, it should be done by noon.

And that about sums up my preparation. I should still make a list of people that I need to look at up that the meeting. Stuff some recent pictures of my kids in my wallet, I always feel like such a bad parent if I have to admit I don't have any pictures of the kids on me.

There are a few things that I look forward to. One is that this might be the first time in a month that I can get some decent sleep. It looks like most activities are over by 10:30 pm, and start up again around 8 am. For someone who's been sleeping 2-4 hours a night that sounds fantastic. I might even get some shut-eye on the 3 1/2 hour flight, although I doubt that. Twelve people from my department are on the same flight, there will be quite some yakking away.

I also look forward to meeting up with colleagues I don't see very often, because they do their research on the research centers around the state and not on the main campus like I do. In fact, I'm sharing my room with one such friend.

And then there is one other exciting event scheduled, which I will report on later. It's a surprise. You'll have to come back to find out what it is. Ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Makita,

Congratulations on getting those posters done! It takes so much work to get ready for these conferences. I just got back from one where I had 3 presentations. I worked around the clock for 3 weeks to get ready for them. It was terrible.

Surprise exciting event? Newest addition to your family? You have me very curious...

EcoGeoFemme said...

Good luck presenting your poster and have a great time!