Monday, January 14, 2008

Smart women

To contrast my post below on women (and children) who become victims of abusive men, this link.

Thanks to Bora for the link, thanks to Peggy for posting this.

The first computer programmers were women, for lack of available men during the war. Can you even begin to imagine what the world would be like without their efforts?

I can't help but notice that one of the women resigned her job to get married, another to raise a family. I'm hoping it was their personal choice (which I applaud), and not because they were prevented to have both a career and a family because of their gender (which I object to). I do know that everything needs to be analyzed in the context of the times, and that values change over time. Since Frances Bilas Spence and Marlyn Wescoff Meltzer were among the pioneers of the information age, I hope they were ahead of their time in their personal life too, and that they were empowered to make the choices for themselves and their families that they wanted to.

No comments: