Monday, February 4, 2008

Qual #5

Ugh! At first the last member of my committee did not return my e-mails to set up my last written qualifying exam. Finally I cornered him in his office this morning. And guess what? My next exam is this coming Thursday at 8:30 am. With absolutely no hint what it's going to be about other than "floriculture." This is troubling, because this member is not from my department, he is my so-called "external" committee member.

Floriculture is not my field. I'm a plant pathologist. I'm really good at making plants sick, not so good at keeping them alive. The plants in my house are (not so) living proof of that. And I have about 2 days to prepare for this exam. Well, I suppose I really cannot prepare for it. There is nothing to be done. Either I know what he asks, or I don't. It's not as if studying for the next 48 hours is going to make a damn bit of difference.

Who am I trying to fool here? I'm going to study floriculture like crazy over the next 48 hours. If anyone can think of a really important point I should know about growing flowers, this would be a good time to state so in the comments.

I'll be back after this torture is over. Or not, maybe I'll just dig a hole in the ground, lie in it, and cover myself up on 10:30 am on Thursday.


Note added: I'm not actually suicidal, and I will not be no matter what the outcome of Thursday's exam. I've faced much, much more serious hardship than failing a stupid exam. I've survived before, I will survive again, and I will be happy. Let me qualify that. I might be really pissed for failing the exam, but it will pass, and overall, I will be a happy person anyway.

2 comments:

ScienceGirl said...

Yikes! Sorry, I am too better at killing plants than keeping them live. Hope you get some sleep before now and Thursday, and Good Luck!!!

ScienceWoman said...

Water them. but not too much.

Other than that, I'm no help.

Good luck!