Friday, April 4, 2008

Definitions

When you do research, the outcome often depends on the questions you ask, or the way you phrase them. For example. This study that is mentioned on ScienceDaily. Thanks to Coturnix for pointing this out.

According to the study results sex lasting 3-13 minutes is better than longer sex. What struck me, was how they measured sex, and I quote:

"...from penetration of the vagina by the penis until ejaculation."

It isn't just me here, right, who thinks that this definition is a wee bit sexist, and mildly male-oriented? No, wrong. It is big-time sexist, and grossly male-oriented. Nowhere was the female orgasm mentioned. If the male ejaculates before the female has an orgasm, is sex over? I think you might find a woman or two (billion) who disagree with that. And I suppose, vaginal-penetration is the only activity that counts as sex.

And what about gay sex? I guess when two women have sex, it's not really sex, since there might not be any penetration. And when two men have sex, I suppose one can have an orgasm, and then it's over. Had the question been put a little different, the results might have been dramatically different.

I'm hoping that this is just bad reporting, and that the researchers had a better, more representative way of assessing the time sex lasts. But it sure sounds that at the very minimum, gay sex wasn't considered at all, and heterosexual intercourse was defined by decidedly male actions without any consideration of what the woman (who presumably makes up 50% of the interaction) experiences.

And I quote some more:

"Past research has found that a large percentage of men and women, who responded, wanted sex to last 30 minutes or longer."

You think that maybe questions were phrased better? It is likely to change the 3-13 minute range.

5 comments:

Bora Zivkovic said...

I agree 100%. I was thinking the same way about it. Glad someone took and ran with this.

EcoGeoFemme said...

And they wonder why we still say bias is everywhere....

ScienceGirl said...

Sheesh! I guess I'll just have to join the half the population of the planet this study didn't bother counting.

ScienceWoman said...

wow. That's a pretty explicitly biased viewpoint. Thanks for pointing it out.

Anonymous said...

i guess the study assumes all men are gentlemen and let the ladies go first? but is that the first first or the second first or the sloppy seconds or...

more tequila!