Friday, May 4, 2007

Shaken baby syndrome

I noticed yesterday that someone found their way to my blog by searching for the term" meaning of shaken kids," strangely enough because of my post about my son learning to shake his head to communicate "no." I then did a quick search on Wikipedia on the shaking of kids. Just reading it, made my stomach turn, and I could almost not finish it.

So whoever did this search, if you read this post. Here are the facts:
1. Kids are very fragile human beings.
2. They have small, developing brains.
3. Shaking kids can cause bleeding of the brain
4. Even a small bleed can cause severe brain damage, including blindness, cerebral palsy, motor skill defects, and death.
5. I know what life is like with a child with disabilities, and I know what life is like for my child.

Whoever feels the need to shake a child. STOP! Take a break, go for a walk, call a friend, splash water on your face, step on your toes, do whatever it takes to take your mind off of this, and don't shake the child. More shivers up my spine.

No comments: